Sports & Recreation Coordinator - CAS/Cathedral City
Company: The Salvation Army
Location: Cathedral City
Posted on: November 17, 2022
DescriptionMission Statement:The Salvation Army, an
international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal
Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry
is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the
gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without
discrimination.Position Summary:The Sports & Recreation
Coordinators function is to create and maintain a Salvation Army
athletics leagues while researching and securing outside
organization sports league facility rentals. These functions would
include but not be limited to, responsible for outreach and
creating teams, coaching, leading, monitoring and supervising all
gym activities. This includes, coordinating league schedules,
processing registrations and agreements, communicating with
customers and cultivating relationships with local schools and
other community organizations to ensure gym is in full operation. A
big emphasis is to recruit and oversee volunteers and coaches.
Position also includes partnering with our corps and afterschool
youth ensuring games and appropriate gym time is allotted. This
position would also be responsible for acting as Manager on Duty in
the Gymnasium, fulfilling closing shifts and overseeing sports,
recreation and athletics-based programs and functions as assigned.
The Sports and Recreation Coordinator additionally will be
responsible for cleanliness of facility, performing light
maintenance and safety checks on equipment, reporting damage and
eliminating hazards in a timely manner to ensure complete safety of
all gym participants.Essential Functions:
- To know, explain and exemplify the mission, purpose, and values
of the TSA Davis Center and the Salvation Army.
- Secure outside organization rentals, ensuring organizations and
or individuals complete required paperwork, including payment and
insurance contracts according to TSA policy.
- Develop and implement an evangelism-based Sports & Recreation
program with the primary objective being to spread the Gospel of
- Responsible for daily management of and planning for Sports &
Recreation programs, including but not limited to, budget, child
safety, and human resources.
- Create church (Salvation Army) leagues, division, and practice
- Coach teams: recruit, train, supervise, and evaluate volunteers
- Follow through with handling of fees with corps office and
create and maintain database for all Sports & Recreation-based
- Work cooperatively with Corps Officers, all program directors,
supervisors, and staff to optimize the integration and
cross-marketing of Sports & Recreation programs throughout the
Salvation Army Davis Center.
- Follow and ensure adherence to The Salvation Army Policies and
Procedures.Working Conditions:Ability to walk, stand, bend squat
climb, kneel and twist on an intermittent or sometimes continuous
basis. Ability to be able to lift up to 50lbs. Ability to grasp,
push, pull objects such as file cabinet drawers and reach overhead.
Ability to operate computer, fax and telephone.Minimum
- Minimum High School graduate or equivalent. College degree
- Have at least two years of experience in a sports and
recreation position developing, planning, managing, and supervising
sports teams, and/or organized recreational programs.
- Have at least two years of experience developing and
administering budgets (Helpful).
- Knowledge of Salvation Army programs (Helpful).
- By virtue of direct contact with people who engage in Salvation
Army programs, Christians with a demonstrated personal faith,
agreement with the teaching of Scripture and understanding of
Salvation Army doctrine are preferred for this position.
- Must have at least two years of experience working with
children preferably in a Sports, Recreation, or Camp-based
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to communicate effectively; ability to interact with
co-workers, management, leadership and the public.
- Ability to present oneself in a professional manner.
- Interpersonal and Organizational skills required
- Must have a philosophy of education and child development which
is consistent with that of The Salvation Army Davis Center.
- Must have the ability to work with children, parents, and staff
in capacity of leadership, coaching, and education including but
not limited to:
- Ability to relate joyfully and sensitivity to children of all
- Ability to use appropriate positive discipline
- Ability to handle security and crisis situations calmly.
- Ability to provide constant and continual supervision.
- Ability to engage and maintain a childs interest in
activities.Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Knowledge and experience with various sports equipment, sports
and recreational games and activities.
- Maintain First Aid/CPR/AED certification
- Must be able to read, write, and communicate in English.
Bilingual English/Spanish is preferred.
- Must attend staff, child safety, and other trainings as
- Coordinate volunteers requests from the community; recruit,
train and supervise volunteer coaches and staff.
- Maintain inventory, distribution and ordering of supplies and
- Ability to work evenings, night shifts, split shifts, weekends
and some holidays.
- Set up tables, sports equipment, chairs etc. for classes and
- Assist in emergencies or treatment of injured players,
volunteers, and/or staff. Follow up with appropriate paperwork as
- Recognize the spiritual needs of individuals, which may require
referral to the officer/pastor who is an ordained minister of
- Perform all other duties as
- CPR/AED: IntermediateEducationRequired
- High School or Equivalent or betterPreferred
- Bachelors or betterExperienceRequired
- 2 years: Experience working with children preferably in a
Sports, Recreation, or Camp-based environment.Equal Opportunity
Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with DisabilitiesThe
contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate
against employees or applicants because they have inquired about,
discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another
employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the
compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part
of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other
employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have
access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in
response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an
investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an
investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the
contractors legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR
Keywords: The Salvation Army, Cathedral City , Sports & Recreation Coordinator - CAS/Cathedral City, Other , Cathedral City, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!